Along with your homeowner’s insurance, home security is the step in protecting your home and assets. Now that you have your clear to close, you can start setting up appointments, so your new systems will be up and running after closing.
Before you move in:
- If you have a home warranty, call them first as they often have re-keying services. We also like to use Mr. Re-Key, http://www.rekey.com/locksmith/san-antonio/
- Install an alarm system. Do your research and choose a company that has the features you want and price to fit your budget. If you end up choosing ADT or Vivint, let us know! We have referral rewards to share with you!
- Install a doorbell camera. Our favorite products are Ring and Nest, they are easy to use and affordable.
After you move in:
- Get to know your neighbors! Neighbors often look out for each other, so, try to meet them and keep in touch on what is going on in the area.
- Increase the effectiveness of your strike plates on your doors by installing Door Devils.
- Lighting is always an easy way to add security. For outdoor areas, consider motion activated lights. For indoors, timers are an effective way to make it look like someone is home.
- If you have any sliding doors, purchase an inexpensive wooden dowel to place in the tracks and to prevent it from opening even if unlocked.
- Once you have finished unpacking, be sure to not stack your empty boxes in plain sight, especially any expensive items, such as TVs and computers. These high valuable items are giveaways for what you have in your home.
This list goes on and on! Read Safe Home for more tips.